14 September, 2011

R U OK? and Rove McManus

The other night Groover's I was watching the television show called Australian Story on the ABC/Channel 2.

I love this show a lot because it gives you a reality check when you think your own life is tough and not the best. This weeks show was just that. It was about a guy called Gavin Larkin who is only 41 and thought he had the perfect life.

He was very successful in the advertising field but decided some changes were in order in his life and created the R U OK? National Awareness Campaign which dealt with depression and suicide prevention that other organisations had failed to achieve over the course of decades.




Here is a link to the show:

Australian Story - Brand New Day


It made me think alot about my life and the life of others. I think from time to time in our lives we have all been there, that dark place that is hard to talk about. Some people have had to deal with things at a very young age, some, well maybe it hits them when they are older, much older.

I know for me that time was last year when my Grandad passed away. But it makes you wonder why then. Why not when I was younger and was left a single parent at 26 when my marriage ended. Why not when my Nana passed away, or the time I was made redundant on New Years Eve.... Whilst of course at those times I was def down, nothing could compare to the last 12 months.

And it's really hard to explain to people how you are feeling. You really just want to sit on your lounge and let the world pass by. You don't think "Oh! I should ring someone and we should go out" it just doesn't work that way.

I guess you just reach a breaking point, but we all have different levels of breaking points. And when something happens in your life you question why or how you seemed to deal with it ok, and then the next, but then one day you find you have reached your limit.

R U OK? Day is tomorrow, Thurs 15th September, 2011.

It’s a national day of action which aims to prevent suicide by encouraging Australians to connect with someone they care about and help stop little problems turning into big ones.

On that day we want everyone across the country, from all backgrounds and walks of life, to ask family, friends and colleagues: "Are you OK?".

Staying connected with others is crucial to our general health and wellbeing. Feeling isolated or hopeless can contribute to depression and other mental illnesses, which can ultimately result in suicide. Regular, meaningful conversations can protect those we know and love.

It's so simple. In the time it takes to have a coffee, you can start a conversation that could change a life.

R U OK? Day Website

And today I read an article about Rove McManus returning to our television screens next Monday on Foxtel, on FOX 8 with Rove LA.

I am really looking forward to this as I love Rove's sense of humour! He cracks me up! But what I found really interesting was this, have a read:

"After a one-season run as a variety host on Channel 9 in 1999, he made a comeback with a new show on Ten in 2000. His world was rocked in November, 2006 when he lost wife Belinda Emmett to cancer. He took six months off from TV, unsure he would ever return to the business, but made a much-publicised comeback in April 2007.

Even when he ended his self-imposed exile, he struggled with his grief.

He never thought he would find true happiness again.

"Everything switched off. Then one by one, little switches would come back on - where I could feel there was a little seed of happiness in there somewhere," he says.


When I read this, this morning it really hit a nerve. It was exactly how I felt over the last 12 months and Rove had explained it much better than I could.


I would really like to thank you Rove, I took a lot from your words and Groover's I am happy to report that just like "our friend" Rove, slowly but surely my little switches are flicking back on and my own little seed of happiness makes it's appearance from time to time. It's a relief really that I haven't lost him (my little seed!) and you know what? It's nice to smile again and feel happy :)

Me xxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Facebook Twitter Favorites More